Join Our CSA
WHAT IS A CSA?
CSA stands for “Community Supported Agriculture.” Originally pioneered by women in Japan in the 1960’s. They were looking for alternatives to pesticide heavy, industrial agriculture and to take it back to small, local farms and farming families (Hey, that’s us!) The first CSA didn’t come to the US until the mid-1980’s – so it’s fairly new here.
In short, a CSA creates a relationship between the farmer and the community. Members purchase shares of produce before the season begins and get to reap the benefits when harvest time comes. Members agree to be partners or shareholders in the farm, in turn sharing in both the successes and failures the farm may have. Members understand that their produce is grown with organic and sustainable farming practices. This partnership allows the farmer (Us!) to receive revenue before the season starts when we need it the most (seeds, soil, amendments!) and allows us to focus on being in the field during growing season and not stressing about selling our produce.
There are so many benefits to supporting a CSA and your local farms.
Here are a few:
- You’re supporting your local community – now more than ever that is so very important!
- It encourages you to eat more fruit & veggies! When you’re picking them up weekly and they’re in the house – no excuse not to eat them!
- You get to try new foods you may not have otherwise. Get stuck in ruts eating the same things over and over? We all do. Belonging to a CSA introduces you to new items you may not have thought to purchase. Don’t know what to do with it – don’t stress, we’ll be offering recipes and ideas in our weekly newsletters.
- You’re eating seasonal produce. We can only sell what we can successfully grow within the seasons. Strawberries in spring, pumpkins in the fall, tomatoes mid summer. You’ll receive the freshest seasonal items we can produce!
- It saves you money and who doesn’t love that? Especially if you purchase organic at the store, you’ll save anywhere from $10 - $20 a week on produce. That’s $40 - $80 a month or about $500 - $700 per year – that’s a ton! You are able to cut out the middleman when purchasing direct from farms.
WHAT YOU CAN LOOK FORWARD TO:
Each member will enjoy a weekly share of fresh, organically grown fruits, vegetables, herbs, and microgreens (all availability dependent). We take the time to research and choose the varieties we love, use all organic growing practices, and do everything with love which results in the best tasting produce we can offer. We harvest produce the day before you pick up, so it’s as fresh as possible. Our methods are not only organic, but often times above USDA organic protocols as I am SUPER picky about what we use and don’t use on the farm.
We will be sending out newsletters on a weekly basis to our members to let you know what is in the box, recipe ideas, and any news we’d like to share. A sample of a CSA share might include: a bag of lettuce, a bunch of beets, a bunch of kale or other greens, a bunch of carrots, pint or quart of tomatoes, mixture of squash.
Members will also have the option of adding on our pastured chicken eggs from our chickens, meats from T.A. Farms, mushrooms from King Mushroom, ice cream from Agapre Creamery, and coffee from Local Coffee Roasting Co. NEW this year - fish from Alaska Wild Seafoods, cheese from Chapel's Creamery, honey from WaterGirl Farm, milk & butter from Nice Farms, desserts from More Than Chocolate, and personal care products from Cetacea Organics. We are also working with Tangled Vines Farm for some produce options that we do not grow on the farm like potatoes and onions. If our cut flowers are successful, we will also have those available to add on! Extra produce will also be available for purchase at pick up.
This year we are purchasing two weeks of fresh sweet corn (pending availability), from our neighbors over at East View Farm, for our members shares because we do not want to grow corn, but we do want to eat in the summer!
WHAT WE GROW:
Swiss Chard, Mustard Greens, Kale, Spinach, Head & Leaf Lettuce, Arugula, Collard Greens, Cabbage, Broccoli, Kohlrabi, Asparagus, Beets, Carrots, Radishes, Turnips, Peas, Beans, Okra, Sweet & Hot Peppers, Eggplant, Cucumbers, Tomatoes (many types), Summer Squash, Zucchini, Spaghetti Squash, Butternut Squash, Patty Pan Squash, Luffa, Melons, Basil, Cilantro, Dill, Oregano, Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Cut Flowers, Strawberries, Figs
FULL/HALF SHARE OPTIONS:
There are two different share options this season. Your share will have 5-8 different nutritious edibles each week with cooking ideas and other information emailed.
- Half shares (feed 2-3 people) are generally about $30 worth of produce each week.
- Full shares (feed 4-6 people) are generally about $50 worth of produce each week.
- The season will run for 18 weeks.
- We will also have a leave it or take it table out. If there is something in your bag you do not care for, please feel free to leave it for someone else to take, if there is something you’d like to take, please help yourself. Be mindful that there are many members for the sharing to go around to.
- Add on options will be available
- Payment for shares is due in full at the time of purchase. You can purchase online and pay with a credit card or choose the COD option and pay cash or check directly to us to receive a 5% discount!
- If you are interested in a payment plan, please contact Sheena directly at email@example.com or 410-507-1477.
- Times a little tough and money tight? Apply for our Let Love Grow Program!
CSA FARM CARD OPTION:
This option allows you to purchase only the items that you want and allows you to spend your CSA credit at your convenience. This option will work great if you will be out of town for extended periods of time, vacation here intermittently, or are part time locals.
- Purchase CSA Farm Card for $190 and receive $200 to spend at our farm store
- Purchase CSA Farm Card for $380 and receive $400 to spend at our farm store
- Purchase CSA Farm Card for $570 and receive $600 to spend at our farm store
- **Note - CSA Farm Card's are for use on Hook Family Farm produced/sold items only. They are not for use on add on products from our Farm Partners**
PICK UP INFORMATION:
- Option one: Hook Family Farm Wednesday’s 9am – 12pm
- Option two: Hook Family Farm Sunday’s 11am – 2pm
- Option three: East Coast Chiropractic Wednesday's 2 – 4pm
- Option four: Healing Arts Center of the Eastern Shore Sunday's 3 – 5pm
- FARM: We are located in Roxana off of Daisey Rd, near Custom Mechanical and the intersection of Daisey & Rt. 17. Exact address will be provided to members at sign up.
- East Coast Chiropractic: 1632 Savannah Rd Suite 2, Lewes, DE 19958
- Healing Arts Center: 617 Franklin Ave, Berlin, MD 21811 - in the courtyard
Dates for 2021 Summer CSA:
- Wednesday’s June 9th- October 6th
- Sunday’s June 6th– October 3rd
New this year is that each share will be in a bin labeled with your name in our walk in cooler. Please honk the horn or shoot a text when you have arrived and we will come out to get it for you. Please be sure to have a bag/tote of your own (or purchase one of the Hook Family Farm ones!) to transfer your produce into and leave the bin for the following week.
Pick up times and days are firm. If you will not be able to make your pick up time or day, please let us know and we can donate your share for the week to a family in need. Alternatively, you can choose to have a friend or family member pick up for you or for themselves, please let us know ahead of time.
In joining the Hook Family Farm CSA, I understand and agree to the following: Farming is a seasonal and unpredictable undertaking. The share will vary from week to week depending on what is ripe in the fields at that time. Fluctuation and variations are inherent in farming (due to seasons, weather, pests, and other unforeseen forces of nature). Hook Family Farm will, to the best of our ability, provide the freshest, highest quality fruits and vegetables possible. However, I understand I am assuming a mutual risk with my farmer, and that I share in the bounty as well as in the risks of agriculture. I agree to pick up my share at the agreed upon location and time each week or arrange for it to be picked up by someone else. I understand that if I do not pick up my share it will be donated. I can sell or transfer ownership of my share at any point during the season but there are no refunds. When you purchase a CSA share, you are agreeing to these terms.